April 19th, 2010
Last week, 2K Games confirmed longstanding rumors that they have acquired the XCOM license and are making a new game for PC and Xbox 360. Here's the important stuff to note from the announcement:
- The new game is being billed as a "re-imagining" of the series. You know, modern graphics, new controls, and reworked storylines. Plus, mystery. Don't forget the mystery, people!
- Unlike the first game which was an isometric strategy game, the new XCOM is a first-person shooter, which is what all the kids play these days, apparently.
- Shockslusive! The game is being developed by 2K Marin, the same studio behind BioShock 2. So, uh, the remake is in good story-telling hands.
- You assume the role of a curious FBI agent tasked with eliminating "an unknown and faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world" (ahem, UFOs). It's the same formula that left many calling the 1994 original one of the greatest PC games of all time.
- No release date has been set. But work is "currently under development." Provided 2K Marin doesn't go all 3D Realms on the thing, we could realistically expect to be playing it sometime next year.
Whether a fan of the original series or not, is this something you plan on playing?
|Stories you may have missed:|