April 26th, 2012
A smattering of internal memos by Bioware during the development of Mass Effect were made public recently, shedding insight into all the crazy things game developers have to consider when making a game.
But not only are the office quotes insightful, they're ironic, comical, and even a bit sad. For example:
- "Wow. There are 23 bugs about eyelids."
- “How does any writing come out of this buffoon factory?” (Editor's note: Need I remind you that Mass Effect 3 was particularly criticized for its story?)
- "Penny Arcade is railing against insipid RPG dialogue today." Reply: "But insipid is what I do best!"
- “Is your X-Box on fire? No? Build passed!”
- “If we could give people a magic hat that would create for them the exact RPG experience they’d always dreamed of, they’d complain about the color of the hat.”
- "Remember, we make fun, we don't have fun."
- "Everyone ready to hear the memory budget?" Reply: "Did you bring lube?"
- “My youngest – he only sees me in the morning before I leave. So he now thinks ‘da-da’ means ‘bye.’ He’ll wave to people leaving and say, ‘Da-da!’”
What's more, I love how the pictured image takes nothing for granted. Unless you tell a computer not to drink from its nose, it may just do it.
Read more: PC gaming culture